Scargo Pottery was opened in the summer of 1952. The gallery and studio that stand today represent a kind of work in progress that has evolved and changed over the years to accommodate the innovations and ideas that are the products of perseverance. A strong background in the visual arts with an emphasis on sculpture eventually led to the field of ceramics. The close integration of practical knowledge of an art and a prosperous living environment in which to produce it, became the motivational factors behind the founding of Scargo Pottery.
The studio has been host to numerous apprentices over the years, including the four Holl sisters who presently comprise the family business. The breadth of work created is extensive; some works include sculpted pots, large bird castles and ornate wall fountain and plaques. The shop itself, which is open to all and meant to be explored, is perhaps the most telling example of The Scargo Pottery style.